I know you may not want to think about it, but the holiday season is rapidly approaching! This time of year is my absolute favorite. I love the Christmas trees and lights, all of the holiday buzz, and of course you can’t forget the baked goods! Baking is a big part of the holidays and pies, cakes and cookies are absolute necessities!
While baking can be fun and of course very delicious, it does have some cons. Think of all of the cupcake liners, the tin-foil and other items that get thrown away during the holidays. It might not seem like a lot at first, but it does create waste over time.
I have some very useful and eco-friendly baking tips that will keep your food tasty, but leaves the environmental guilt at the door!
1. Plan to bake several things at the same time. This way, you reduce the amount of times that your oven has to heat up. While it’s inconvenient, it also saves money on your electricity bill too.
2. If you’re planning on buying new baking pans or dishes, look for brands that use natural materials such as bamboo or recycled materials. These are much better for the environment and cook exactly as a normal baking dish would.
3. Instead of using a paper towel to clean up a mess or a spill, use a sponge. Scotch Brite makes a fabulous biodegradable sponge made from natural fibers that would be a great eco alternative to using paper towels. Or you can just use a regular towel or dishcloth that you wash and reuse.
4. Forgo the muffin paper liners that you line your muffin pan with. They are discarded instantly and create a lot of waste. Instead of using the liners, spread a tiny amount of olive oil in the tins. The muffins will not stick and you’ll be able to easily take them out of the tin once they’ve cooled.
5. Instead of using cooking spray (which has a lot of chemicals) to grease your pans, use a small amount of olive oil. Just take a cloth and spread it around. Your food will come out easily and you won’t be having chemicals touch your food.
6. It’s important to look for ingredients that are organic and packaged in material that is recyclable or reusable.
These tips are very important in helping to make the world a better place. Even if you’ve never participated in any of these earth friendly tips before, it’s never too late to start. Just making one of these smart choices will help you to know you’re making a great decision for the earth.