I love writers with a wonderful sense of humor. The more they can make me laugh, the better. I love to read humorous pieces, and I enjoy a writer who is witty. Jennifer Reese is a perfect example of that author.
Make The Bread Buy The Butter is a recently released book by Jennifer Reese. This book tells the often hilarious stories surrounding these kitchen-related experiments and offers a full picture of what is involved in a truly homemade life. Reese asks a handful of practical questions about each item to decide whether to make or buy: What’s the ultimate cost? How much of a hassle is it to make? And what about sustainability and animal welfare – what value should we place on knowing that our eggs came from happy chickens. Is it somehow ennobling to slaughter your own Thanksgiving Day turkey?
This book has a very refreshing perspective on what you should and shouldn't cook from scratch and why. Jennifer feels that you should make your own hot dog buns while buying your ice cream cones in store. She has hilarious reasoning and is very convincing.
The book offers 120 recipes with eminently practical yet deliciously fun "make or buy" recommendations. Reese is relentlessly entertaining as she relates her food and animal husbandry adventures, which amuse and perplex as well as nourish and sustain her family. Her tales include living with a backyard full of cheerful chickens, muttering ducks, and adorable baby goats; countertops laden with lacto-fermenting pickles; and closets full of mellowing cheeses.
Make the Bread Buy the Butter is a very fun read. I didn't look at it as a cookbook, but looked at it more as a collection of interesting stories. There are different chapters of the book for eggs, bread, cheese, milk, etc. For example, there is a whole section of how to make your own peanut butter. Reese never thought to make her own peanut butter but declared that Skippy brand peanut butter was good enough for her. She saw the homemade light and decided to save money and a trip to the store, and grind those nuts herself! Her recipes are very easy to follow and she breaks them down step by step for you.
Reese is a wonderful writer and her eloquent words flow effortlessly and fill page after page. I found myself truly enjoying what I was reading and I spent a good hour reading through the interesting book. I was actually inspired to make my own peanut butter! It was so easy to make and I loved the fact that I could control the taste and save money by doing so. I have a big jar of it in my fridge right now. :)
I feel that this book would be the perfect gift for anyone looking to make a lot of their staple foods from scratch. Make The Bread Buy The Butter gives you that drive and inspiration to take your homemade dreams to the next level!
*Jennifer Reese has been a professional journalist all of her adult life, working mostly for national magazines, and has been an avid, adventurous home cook for even longer, which she blogs about at the Tipsy Baker (tipsybaker.com) as well as for online publications like Slate. Reese also teaches cooking classes in Marin County, California, where she lives with her family*
1. I will be picking ONE (1) winner for this contest. One winner will win a copy of Make The Bread Buy The Butter by Jennifer Reese.
YOU MUST DO THIS FIRST or all other entries will be DELETED!
2. Please tell me why you would like to win this book. (1 entry)
3. Subscribe by Email and Confirm that Subscription (1 entry)
4. Subscribe to Sammi's Blog of Life in a Reader (1 entry)
5. Follow me on Blogger. (1 entry)
6. Follow me on Twitter (www.twitter.com/pinkice88) (1 entry)
7. Leave a Tweet and the direct link to that tweet (1 entry) (You can do this daily)
8. FOR 5 EXTRA ENTRIES - Blog about this giveaway with a link to my blog and come back and leave the link to your blog post. Post FIVE separate comments that you've blogged about this.
9. Add my main button to your sidebar (if it's already there, let me know that! Leave link to your blog.) (1 entry)
10. Add Sammi's Blog of Life to your blogroll (using my URL), with a link back to me! )1 entry)
11. Become a fan of my Facebook fan page for 1 entry (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sammis-Blog-of-Life/307593407356)
12. Follow Jennifer Reese on Twitter for 1 entry
13. Like Jennifer Reese on Facebook for 1 entry
Winner will be chosen on November 8, 2011 at 10 pm and then will be emailed.
One entry per day.
Alternate winner will be chosen if winner does not respond after 48 hours. Thank you and good luck!
All thoughts and opinions are solely mine and not based on anything else.
You can read more about my blog policies in my disclaimer.
Sammi's Blog Of Life Follows All New FTC & Facebook Laws for Reviews & Giveaways.
IF YOU DO NOT CORRECTLY ANSWER MY CONTEST QUESTION, YOUR COMMENT WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REJECTED.